Welcome to my new website and blog! If you haven't already read my about, my name is Bianca Ng or BNG. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator and writer and artist and probably a million other things, but I tend to gravitate toward these creative disciplines.
I was born and raised in suburban Jersey, left for Ann Arbor, Michigan for college, and studied in London along the way. I am obsessed with challenging my fears, making a positive impact through my work, wellness, food/eating/cooking, understanding the creative pursuit, self-awareness, psychology, conversations, and dogs.
Early in my life, I realized I process my thoughts and experiences through writing and making (ie. I've kept a journal since I was seven). When I launched my new website, I decided to launch a blog. My goal is to share a new blog post every week. My initial running list of ideas includes an affordable food guide in NYC, book reviews, free ways to creatively recharge, favorite restaurants in NYC, monthly music inspirations, and resources for young creatives. If you want to add to this list, leave a comment below or email me. If it resonants with me, I'm happy to explore the topic.
Have you read this far? Still want to know more about me? I answered a few questions through the Proust Questionnaire (thanks, Vanity Fair!):
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Waking up before 9 am on a Sunday morning to the sound of soft birds chirping and nothing else. Then staying in bed for another hour basking in the sunlight and stillness because I have no plans for the rest of the day.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Not being able to fulfill my life's purpose and not being able to have a positive impact in the world before I leave.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Apathy or selfishness.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
My older sister because she has a lot of qualities I admire and wish I had.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Matcha latte with a pain au chocolat. Or a salad from Sweetgreen.
7. What is your current state of mind?
Exhausted, but hopeful.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. On what occasion do you lie?
When I am too tired and cowardly to tell someone how I actually feel because I assume the truth will hurt their feelings. Or more commonly, when I'm invited to a large social event. I often come up with a stupid excuse because I just hate group settings. Sometimes I'll genuinely have fun, but 7/10 it just makes me feel anxious and exhausted. I'm working on practicing saying "no" and being more honest about my feelings.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Probably the man who literally stole my laptop out of my bare hands or just any person who intentionally harms another person.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Patient. Empathetic. Vulnerable.
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Unapologetic. Passionate. Vulnerable.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
LOL or haha.
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
The creative pursuit, which for me includes design, illustration, art, writing, and any form of creating with my hands.
16. When and where were you happiest?
My happiest moments were: the first time I fell in love, when I drove down to Florida to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity with a group of friends during one spring break, studying in London, and working on my BFA thesis.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
I wish I had a photographic memory and could retain everything I've ever read or saw. I read a lot to try to gain more knowledge, but I often feel like I forget most of the things I read, which feels frustrating!! I'm definitely a visual learner and learn by doing.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
My anxiety? But then again, I wouldn't have gotten where I am if I wasn't exactly the way I am, so I'm not sure I would change anything.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My 15-year long friendship with my best friend or my first personal project "100 Days of Better Conversations" or my BFA thesis.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A bichon frise or the ocean.
21. Where would you most like to live?
London. Kyoto. Hong Kong. Or a secluded island with unlimited resources.
22. What is your most treasured possession?
My toy stuff dog named Muffin, which I've slept with since the second grade. Or my new laptop, which I spent a year saving to buy.
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
When you are trapped, either mentally or physically, in a situation, and you feel so helpless that you become apathetic about your life.
24. What is your favorite occupation?
Being a dependable friend.
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
My resilience and my self-motivation.
26. What do you most value in your friends?
Their unconditional love and support for my crazy personal projects or my low moments.
27. Who are your favorite writers?
Hanya Yanagihara and Nayyirah Waheed.
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
My mentors, Hannah Smotrich and Franc Nunoo-quarcoo. My professors, Stephanie Rowden and Jennifer Metsker. My best friend. Brené Brown. Shantell Martin. Michelle Obama. Honestly, anyone trying to make a positive impact in the world is my hero.
31. What are your favorite names?
I don't have a favorite name. I used to hate my name growing up because I thought it was weird and was teased a lot for it, but now I love its uniqueness. One name I love is my friend's, Léa Nobuko Ono. She's the only person in my contacts with a middle name! Another note about names, I love nicknames, and I grew up with about twenty different nicknames from friends and family. Each friend had a different nickname for me, but B was my first nickname. My mom named my sister Angela and me Bianca, so she would call us A and B. It feels weird when my sister calls me Bianca or when I call her Angie, vice versa, I feel weird when strangers call me B. It is reserved for my family and close friends, but I also feel too awkward to tell a stranger not to call me that.
32. What is it that you most dislike?
I dislike many things...olives, wasabi, unnecessarily loud sounds and drunk "bros," rude people, small talk, hunger, delayed transportation, people who lean their entire body onto the pole on the subway during rush hour, mushy soggy white rice, but I dislike NJ Transit + Penn Station the most.
33. What is your greatest regret?
Not doing or saying something out of fear. Or making a decision based on fear.
34. How would you like to die?
Quick and unexpected.
35. What is your motto?
I am enough.